Friday, July 08, 2005

When God Speaks

Sometimes when God speaks, He's really subtle. He doesn't yell. He doesn't shout. He'll quietly speak to a quieted mind. But first you have to listen. Really listen.

It's the early morning and no one is up yet. I've been awakened early. The house is quiet. The traffic is quiet. Even the dogs are quiet. But the sun is up and the day has started warming up already. It promises to be a beauty. Where will my mind go first? What will be the first thoughts to start my mind up and running on?

I open my Bible. It's the best place to begin the day. Find the place that I left off yesterday. Here it is. Then I close my eyes. My head rests in my hands. And I stop. Completely. Just stop everything. Deep breaths. And I listen. Quietness. Stillness. With my eyes closed there's darkness.

Now I reach out. Not literally. Reach out with my ears. "God?" "Are you there? Will you speak to me? I need to hear You. I'm listening." And I pause.

Now I read. Not like I used to read. I used to read the Bible in a completely different way. I used to read for information. Trying to get the principles out of the word. Trying to get the applications out of the word. What does the text say? What does the text mean? What is the author saying to his audience? That's all right and good. It demonstrates that I've learned good hermeneutics and all. But it doesn't meet my deepest hunger.

I have a hunger for God. For His voice. For Him to speak to me. I need Him more than I need to understand the principles of that passage. So in the morning, I'm not studying, I'm listening!

And I heard it! Loud and clear. Wow! Did I ever!

If you've ever read the beginning of Joshua, you'll know exactly what I'm talking about. "Be strong and courageous!" Like I didn't get it the first time. He went over and over with it. And followed with some amazing and powerful examples. It was like I didn't just see it on the page. It was like it jumped off the page. Like it rang through my mind. Like it sprang up over and over to bite me on the nose. "Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous!"

I'm about to enter into a battle here. A real war! With renal carcenoma. The pathology reports are completed and the diagnosis is finally and fully confirmed by the medical field. They came in yesterday. We even got the call from the Cancer Center. I'm in to see an oncologist on July 28th. 3 weeks to wait. I'm about to face the battle lines. They're talking about chemo right away. It's a word that has scared me before. It's something I've not wanted to face. Will I be lining up with that? I don't know. But here's what I do know.

So how do I face this? "Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go."

Sometimes God is subtle. Sometimes He shouts. Thanks for shouting it out today for me God!

5 Comments:

At July 08, 2005, Blogger Unknown said...

your post made me cry. I wish you well in your fight. My prayers, such as they are, go out to you and your family. I hope you will be fine.

 
At July 08, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Praise the Lord for his voice in our lives when we need it most!

I'm grinning right now, because I was just re-reading that email I sent you...

 
At July 08, 2005, Blogger Crystal said...

Hey Dwayne and Janet
My prayers have been with you the last few weeks since I found out that you have been going through this......How can I encourage you? Cancer seems to be an enemy I am hating more and more every day and its definately making me mad that so many people I know are suffering with it....but God never promised us that life would be easy or fair he just promised he would be with us through it. A friend of mine said to me recently that we spent 80 maybe 90 years at best on this earth........and all of it is to prepare us for the thousands and millions of years when we reign with Christ. That sure put a new perspective on my faith journey and how I live my life........Just know that you are not alone.....many people are praying for you.

 
At July 09, 2005, Blogger becky said...

I just stumbled across your site this morning -- I'm also in Saskatoon. Thanks for sharing your vulnerablity and your journey with us. I'm so moved by your spirit, and I'll be keeping you and your family in my thoughts and prayers.

Take care.

 
At February 06, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very nice site! how to make a finnish sauna

 

Post a Comment

<< Home